Pseudopod 044: Stockholm Syndrome

By David Tallerman

Read by Cheyenne Wright

Billy, he was first generation through and through. I don’t know what his story was, but when he turned up about two weeks ago he was wearing a suit, a real nice suit, he even still had a carnation in his buttonhole. I don’t know, maybe they was burying him when it happened. You’ve got to wonder what they’d have thought, when they was burying him and he got up like that.

Anyway, he cut quite a figure when he walked up Main Street in that suit. Well, not walked, y’know, I guess he shambled as much as the rest of them, but somehow he seemed kind of smarter than the others–more alert. And in that suit, he reminded me of my kid, when we buried him. That’s why I named him Billy.

Links mentioned in the closing comments:
Read more about the state of the hurricane disaster areas and what DRI is doing for them,
and/or donate to the cause (click the Donate button on the left and specify “hurricane relief” in the blank).

June 29th, 2007 12:02 pm

Loved it. True horror is often the banal approach to something repellant and the tired, beaten down perception of the undead and the attempt to give them personalities was extremely well handled. Reminded me of Max Brooks’ World War Z in tone but never once in a derivative way.
Smart, nasty, well constructed. Good stuff:)

Lizzie
June 29th, 2007 2:09 pm

I really enjoyed listening to this story it was short but powerful. I loved how the author gave Billy a personality, it gave the character more depth and made room for more story. I really enjoyed the ending and the gruesome realizaion the man had and the scene he witnessed.

June 29th, 2007 5:39 pm

This is why I love this podcast. In the past two weeks, we’ve had two completely different takes on zombies and both have been excellent. This one was absolutely horrifying. A great story and an excellent reading by Cheyenne Wright. He’s got the zombie-reading thing down.

Dischord
July 5th, 2007 5:24 pm

Good stuff. The reader was into it, I could tell Cheyenne Wright was into the story.

So… I’ve heard some disturbing rumors about staff changes… any comment?

July 6th, 2007 10:06 pm

The reader couldn’t pull off the hick southerner tones of the story and the audio was bad. This is a shame, as it was a fairly decent story.

July 19th, 2007 6:39 am

Freak’n Awesome. This has got to be the best zombie podcast/story I’ve ever heard.

Dave (aka Nev the Deranged... or is it the other way around?)
July 29th, 2007 11:06 am

Hm. Suicide always seems like a cop out ending to me, both in stories and in real life. It was pretty good up until that predictable, uninteresting ending.

April 14th, 2008 9:45 am

I agree that the accent was not all that true. And there was a fair amount of static.

This to was too much of a pull off of Romero that it did feel like an homage as much as a blatten rip-off.

Feed the pod spaghetti