Pseudopod 102: Dear Killer

By Vinnie Hansen

Read by Ben Phillips

When had the idea first possessed her? Victoria peered about the dim one-car
garage and squatted to look under the counter along the wall. Pushed behind the
containers of old paint, the new bag of concrete stared ominously back at her. Ben had
hidden it like one would an Easter egg from a child. Did he think she was such a dolt she
wouldn’t notice? She came out here regularly to do laundry.

Ben had not said anything about a project requiring concrete. Neither had his
hunting buddy Jack. They always worked together. But there had been nary a word
about fixing a fence post or repairing the walk. She dragged the bag from its hiding spot,
proud of her strong, lithe body, even if Ben’s eyes constantly swiveled toward cleavage.
She forced herself to read the directions. She glanced around the garage for a water
container and decided she would have to use something from the house—the thermos,
maybe, or the plastic pitcher, but she didn’t want to return to the kitchen any sooner than
necessary.

This week’s episode sponsored by Audible.com, who has extended their generous offer of a free audiobook download of your choice from their selection of over 40,000 titles.

August 9th, 2008 11:38 am

Great, great story. It was short and to the point. I think the twist was slightly generic, but I don’t think I mind too much, you know? Great job, Pseudopod!

Changwa Steve
August 9th, 2008 1:56 pm

I guess I’m just a sick bastard but I laughed out loud at the last line. Great story this week.

Me
August 10th, 2008 8:48 am

Wha? I guess I didn’t get the joke. It just seemed to stop. Why was the last line funny? What did she do with the body? Did she get caught? Was the red head involved somehow? What happened to the pan? And most of all WHY DIDN’T I GET IT? GRRR..

Ogion The Silent
August 15th, 2008 2:28 am

A nice little nearly-flash. More thriller than horror apart from the stuff about waterlogged skin sloughing off. On the whole, a good exposition of a “Who’s the real psycho?” storyline.

August 15th, 2008 2:33 pm

Wow, I had to comment on this one. It was smart and executed perfectly. I’m still thinking about how great it was. I didn’t put the part about the guy driving his wife’s car together till five minutes after I finished the story. Everything was wrapped up in this story. Awesome pick this week.

George
August 21st, 2008 2:23 pm

It’s been my personal experience that the most horrifying situations are not those where I am confronted by feral animals intent on tearing me to bits, or a knife-wielding crackhead who’d kill me for my cellphone; it’s the situations where I act based on the wrong information and make a dreadful, irreparable mess of things. That’s why this story chilled me to the bone …

True horror is in the mind of the listener.

August 31st, 2008 11:51 am

This would be more at home in Hitchcock magazine, than here. Cliched, predictable, and boring to boot.

A frying pan? FFS, come on, now! Strangling him with the power cord from the toaster would have been a smidge original… Angry lady whacking hubby with…a frying pan. Yeah. Great.

September 8th, 2008 9:44 pm

I forgot to comment on this story earlier, but I really liked it a lot. I thought it was well-orchestrated.

And a frying pan is a perfectly effective bludgeoning weapon.

October 22nd, 2008 10:38 pm

This one was okay. More suspense than horror.

I echoed of Lacey Petterson.