Pseudopod 97: Mrs Branson Calling

By Johnny Compton

Read by Phil Rossi

He checked the slip of paper in his pocket yet again. Kayla: 555-6213. She had drawn a smiley face encircled by small hearts after the last digit. She was young, a few weeks past her twenty-first birthday if she had been honest with him, and chances were it would not develop into anything serious, but she seemed nice and Shaun was a hopeless sucker for a nice girl. Maybe it was the alcohol applying a rosy tint to his immediate memories of her. Then again, maybe he genuinely was enamored with her, and she with him. Hell, she must have seen something she liked in him; she had even bought him few drinks. A small gesture, but he had been out before with girls who were undoubtedly interested in him but hadn’t bothered to pay for their own drinks, much less buy him one. So maybe…

July 4th, 2008 9:25 am

Not too bad, but I didn’t find it scary. It was more sad than anything else. Maybe I wasn’t too taken by the moral of this.

Changwa Steve
July 4th, 2008 4:37 pm

I have to admit I didn’t really get what the other two women in the story had to do with anything. Maybe it will come up in the forums.

BadMonkey
July 9th, 2008 3:12 pm

It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t anything to light my hair on fire over either.

David
July 10th, 2008 12:18 am

Have to agree with the crowd here. It just didn’t feel like horror to me.

Didn’t know Alasdair Stuart did a part in Tales from the Museum. Can you tell me when they plan on doing another episode of Far Horizons? I really wanted to see what happens next in that story.

July 12th, 2008 10:02 pm

Since when does horror equal compassion and a naked old lady in a stairwell?

If Phil can be bothered to do a southern drawl for the lady in her panties, can’t he be bothered to make some effort to making any references to “brothas” sound a teensy bit authentic? If you can’t do all the nuances, just do a straight reading, ok?

The internal monologue didn’t fit with the tone of the protag either, by the way. Completely off at times.

Alice
July 27th, 2008 7:23 pm

This story had a really interesting opening, but a lackluster ending. It went from exceedingly strange to pretty much formulaic. The protagonist seemed to be reacting in an unrealistically calm way to the naked woman (I know he wasn’t exactly calm, but he was calmer than would be appropriate), and I think more could have been done with the whole “unreal” feeling that was evoked at the beginning. I thought it was going to go off in a very “weird” direction, but it didn’t at all.

I liked the reading a lot, actually. I thought Phil’s voice really suited the protagonist.

Alice
July 27th, 2008 7:45 pm

Oh, and could someone explain how the closing comments related to the story? Because I really didn’t get it at all.