Artemis Rising 3 : Return of Hecate
Now open for submissions
through September 30
Pseudopod is now open for submissions to celebrate the third annual ARTEMIS RISING, a special month-long event across the Escape Artists podcasts featuring stories by women and nonbinary authors in genre fiction.
Our sister podcasts are also taking original submissions for the event. Please visit Escape Pod for science fiction, Cast of Wonders for young adult fiction, and Podcastle for fantasy fiction.
- Payment at $0.06 per word. Please see our general Submission Guidelines for details of the rights we purchase and our sample contracts.
- Original stories only.
- Word count: 2000 – 6000 words.
- Submit using Standard Manuscript Format. We accept files in .odt, .rtf, .docx or .doc format (no PDFs).
- No multiple submissions.
- No simultaneous submissions..
- Submission window runs September 1-30.
Who Can Submit
Anyone who identifies as a woman, to whatever degree that they do. Nonbinary authors are also welcome and encouraged to submit stories.
As always, we strongly encourage submissions from people of backgrounds that have been historically underrepresented or excluded from traditional fantasy fiction, including, but not limited to, people of color, LGBTQ authors, persons with disabilities, members of religious minorities, and people from outside the United States. Our goal is to publish fiction that reflects the diversity of the human race, so we strongly encourage submissions from these or any other underrepresented groups.
What to Submit
Send in your best original horror fiction between 2,000 – 6,000 words.
You can send Pseudopod one submission for ARTEMIS RISING. If we have another story under consideration already in the general submissions queue, we’d be happy to consider an additional story for ARTEMIS RISING.
While we’ll be accepting a limited number of stories for ARTEMIS RISING, all stories will be considered for our regular episodes as well.
How to Submit
Our Submittable portal will be open for ARTEMIS RISING stories September 1st through September 30th.
Prepare your manuscript in something approximating Standard Manuscript Format. We accept files formatted in .rtf, .doc, .docx, and .odt.
In your cover letter, please include your legal name (for contract purposes), byline (if different from your legal name), mailing address, and the story’s approximate word count and publication history. If you have any previous publications, feel free to list the most recent three, but this is optional and won’t affect your story’s consideration.
Once you’ve sent us your story, you will receive an automated confirmation via email. Please query if you have not received this confirmation within 24 hours.
By sending us your story you understand and agree that:
- You are the original creator of the work submitted to us;
- You are the copyright holder of the work;
- You are not prohibited by any prior agreement from the transfer of non-exclusive electronic and audio rights to the work;
- All information in the contact and cover sections of your submission is accurate and truthful;
- You accept sole responsibility for any false statements or encumbrances upon rights not disclosed to us; and
- If you are under the age of 18, your parent or guardian will sign your contract and accept your payment on your behalf.
Artemis Rising 3 submissions will be reviewed and sound produced by the women and non-binary members of Pseudopod’s staff. Our Guest Editor will be Associate Editor Dagny Paul, and our Sound Producer will be Chelsea Davis. Assisting with submissions will be Associate Editors Chelsea Davis, Kat Rocha, Jennifer Roper, Nicole Suddeth, and N.V. Winnick.
If you have questions, comments, or suggestions, send them to email@example.com. We’ll do our best to get back to you within a few days.
We look forward to reading your scary stories!
Shawn Garrett and Alex Hofelich, Co-Editors
Dagny Paul, Guest Editor