During the month of September, PseudoPod seeks submissions to celebrate ARTEMIS RISING, a special month-long event across the Escape Artists podcasts featuring stories by any author who identifies as a woman, to any degree.
Stepping in as guest editors for our fifth annual ARTEMIS RISING event is PseudoPod Associate Editor Cecilia Dockins and Nightlight Editor Tonia Thompson.
Your Guest Editors:
Cecilia Dockins, PseudoPod Associate Editor
Cecilia Dockins resides near Nashville, Tennessee. Over the years, she has slung cocktails in bars, instruments in surgical suites, ink on paper, and possibly a curse word or two. She’s an Odyssey Writing Workshop graduate and former University of Maine: Stonecoast student, a failed academic, loner, dreamer, damn-good angler, and professional book hoarder.
Tonia Thompson, Nightlight Editor
From Tonia’s website:
I write horror, science fiction and dark fantasy. I’ve been scaring people since the second grade, when I wrote my first story based on Michael Myers. I’m pretty sure my teacher was concerned, but I turned out fine(ish).
I also write essays on racial inequality and inclusion in literature. If you don’t like my essays, you probably won’t like my fiction either. It’s cool. Just don’t send me a nasty note because I’m not your cup of tea. Don’t start none, won’t be none.
What is Artemis Rising
- Please read the full announcements about the Artemis Rising event at Escape Artists Prime.
What to Submit
- Send in your best original horror fiction between 2000 – 6000 words. Please see our general submission guidelines.
- You can send PseudoPod one submission for ARTEMIS RISING. Submit a second story to us when we open for general submissions in October.
- While we’ll be accepting a limited number of stories for ARTEMIS RISING, all stories will be considered for PseudoPod’s general calendar.
- Original stories preferred, but we try to run one or two reprints every year as part of Artemis Rising.
How to Submit
- Start writing now, and keep an eye out for a special ARTEMIS RISING Submittable portal. Submissions will be open for the month of September.
ARTEMIS RISING Q&A
Q: If a story has been rejected by PseudoPod in the past, can I submit it to PseudoPod AR?
Q: If a story has multiple authors, do they all have to meet the AR criteria?
Q: If I’ve already submitted an AR story, can I submit another I wrote with a co-author to the same podcast’s AR?
Q: If I have a story on submission to a podcast, can I submit a different story to that podcast’s AR while the first one is still in the queue? Or vice versa?
Q: Can I submit a rejected AR story to the same podcast’s non-AR submissions pile?
A: No, because AR editors may refer your story to the show’s regular editors at their discretion. Otherwise please take a rejection as a rejection of the story from the venue for all purposes.