Pseudopod 154: Raising Eddie

By Mark Felps

Read by Cayenne Chris Conroy

Eddie had the little .22 semi-automatic that we used for shooting rabbit and squirrel, and I had Daddy’s .30-06. It was his favorite deer gun, and he would have tanned my hide if he knew I had it. That day wasn’t the first time we’d come down to the creek to shoot. We didn’t do it all the time, because sometimes the guns cracked so loud that our neighbor across the creek, Mr. Davenport, would hear and call up Momma. Most times, we shot on the bank of the creek, setting up dirty beer bottles – leftovers from teenage parties. It was our land, and we kept it fenced, but a fence never did mean much to a kid of any age.

When we got to the ghost house, Eddie didn’t want to go any further. He didn’t start fussing, but he started dragging his feet, covering his Keds with dust. I wasn’t in the mood to fight with him, so I just kept walking. Faced with being alone in the woods, or with his big brother at the ghost house, Eddie came on along. I wonder, sometimes, if he knew something. If he had some sort of feeling about what was going to happen. It’s the kind of thing that can drive you crazy. If you let it.

Curtis Hart
August 7th, 2009 1:28 pm

Very nice. Tugged at an emotion, remembering when my best friend growing up lost his little brother in a drowning accident.

Cyan
August 8th, 2009 3:23 pm

Great story, dude! The beginning was especially good, really drew you into the narrator’s world.

Never listened to Pseudopod before; I’ll have to remember to come back.

NeoGAF shout-out!

August 9th, 2009 8:47 pm

Wow, moving. I like it.

dont know
August 9th, 2009 11:12 pm

SPOILER ALERT!!

wow when the protagonist shot his brother, I didn’t know how the story could get any worse for the protagonist.

But the writer mad a terrible situation worse and in a way I could never have guessed good work!!

August 10th, 2009 2:28 pm

I dig it. :)

August 18th, 2009 8:46 am

Conroy’s voice is absolutely perfect for this story.

August 19th, 2009 1:48 am

(This comment will contain spoilers)

I wish the whole thing tied together a bit more tightly. There’s a lot of stuff up front about the “ghost house.” The crow gets played up as acting very unusually. And then he tells the witch that it was his dog who died, not his brother. Yet none of that ended up paying off. It was just, “Oh, and for some reason rising from the dead turns you into a drooling pyromaniac, so I burned him to a second death.” It seemed like the first two-thirds was there to pad everything out, but it could be summed up in a single sentence without impacting any of the actual plot.

I did enjoy the reading, though I think it was a teensy bit overdone here and there. Not every line needs to be read in the “My Greatest Regret” voice, and the witch’s accent was waaaay over the top. (I kept expecting her to start telling Ed Harley about the old pumpkin patch.)