Pseudopod 137: The Reign of the Wintergod

By Eugie Foster

Read by Leann Mabry

The doctors come and ask me questions, but they always ask the _wrong_ questions, so I’m stuck. I can give them the wrong answers or no answer at all. I try to explain, try to teach them what the right question is, but they never listen.

“How are you, today, Carolyn?” they ask. And, “Did you have the nightmares again last night?” And occasionally, “Ready for your medication?” The last question I don’t mind as much. The round blue pills give delicious sleep — sleep without dreams. They just make it harder to sleep without them. But the purple pills, the ones with the jagged edges, they make me numb, detached, and that frightens me.

This week’s episode sponsored by Audible.com, who offers you a free audiobook download of your choice from their selection of over 40,000 titles.

Pitmonkey
April 10th, 2009 3:51 pm

I am amazed there are no comments yet. This story is all kinds of awesome. The reading too. Well done.

Flippant
April 11th, 2009 2:31 pm

Yes- This creeped me out on many levels – I can just imagine how someone female with kids would feel! the reading was great. A bit heavy on the sexual content, i guess that might turn some people off.

noname
April 13th, 2009 6:42 am

yep Flippant hit the nail right on its head for me; the sexual content was too much for my liking.
I mean, at sometimes I felt like I was listening to erotica for the extra creepy. And that in itself is what scared me about the story, but nice try from the author !!

Pitmonkey
April 13th, 2009 8:50 am

I find it interesting that a story about a woman who burned her children alive is found more abhorrent for the naughty sex words than the atrocious act of violence and insanity.

Thoughts of harming children (especially newborns) is fairly common with women suffering from postpartum depression. I thought this was an interesting twist on a very real phenomenon.

April 13th, 2009 11:51 am

What the hell is this? Foster’s description of an acid trip after she got trapped in the freezer at Wall*Mart or a childish excuse to use the word “cunt” as much as possibe?

ZenMage
April 13th, 2009 4:12 pm

Wow… This is quite disturbing. I have 2 kids and I almost stopped listening after the children are burned alive but I am glad I didn’t. Definitely not for everyone but thanks for going out on a limb on this one.

Keep up the good work. This is the most horrifying story I have heard in a while…

Gia
April 13th, 2009 10:07 pm

Shouldn’t this one have come with a warning at the beginning?

Other than that . . . ew. Just ew.

phignewton
April 13th, 2009 10:42 pm

In SoViat Russia Santa…. aaaii! This story certainly was someplace between awesome and pointless, can assume the writer enjoyed writing it though which is what counts!

noname
April 14th, 2009 1:53 am

well pitmonkey I will comment on your post as I feel it was somehow in reply to mine.

I disliked the “naughty sex words” as you put it cause quite frankly this is a horror podcast one does not automatically expect to hear the word “cunt” as many times as could be heard in this story.
Nor should one expect to instantly be hit with detailed of a ice cock freezing said cunt shut.

Therefore thats why I tended to be “less abhorrent” towards the acts of insanity and child slaying. If you like horror fiction this dirty and naughty then all the best to you. But dont look down on some who may like the horror without the smut.

cheers !!

Pitmonkey
April 14th, 2009 12:55 pm

Sorry noname, the comments were not directed at you specifically even though they followed your post. Your “erotica for the extra creepy” comment made me laugh and you didn’t bash the author.

I knew while listening to the story it would be bashed for content despite the very clear warning at the top of the page that stories “are likely to contain death, graphic violence, explicit sex (including sexual violence), hate crimes, blasphemy, or other themes and images that hook deep into your psyche.”

The warning further, very clearly states that “If there are any themes that you cannot deal with in fiction, that are too strongly personal to you, please do not listen.”

Puny Human
April 14th, 2009 5:00 pm

I found it really difficult to get into this story. I found the crude sexual content annoyingly repetitive – kind of like a school kid who’s pleased at himself for learning a new naughty word. I hate to be negative, especially given the fact that I look forward to each week’s podcast and enjoy the majority of the stories, but to me this was a total dud.

J
April 20th, 2009 10:27 am

I on the otherhand, love to be negative. It swells my moldering heart with joy!

The ‘crazy lady ganks her kids’ theme is played out enough by now soas to lose nearly all emotional resonance, as is the ‘trapped in the nut hatch’ angle. Likewise, the fixation on sexual violence/domination that tends to go along with these stories is by now tiresome. It might have been abit less tedious had the writer stretched her vocabulary of vulgarity a little. ‘Cunt’ and ‘fuck’ tend to lose their shock value after about the fifth time you say them in rapid succession, and i suspect shock value was about the height of ms. foster’s ambition here.

Flameout
April 25th, 2009 7:47 pm

Reading these comments I’m starting to feel there may be something wrong with my reactions.

My emotional reaction to the excelent reading of this story swung between deeply sympathetic and deeply disturbed. It was like looking inside of what can and does happen on the evening news at least once a week.

As for the language, for me it added to the disturbing aspect of the story by adding unexpected shock value.

devora
April 25th, 2009 7:49 pm

Loved the reading, loved the story. Don’t know quite what it’s like to go totally bonkers insane, but all those ‘naughty’ words (jeeeez, are we nine years old?) helped me understand the anger and pain of insanity.
And again, great reading.

May 27th, 2009 2:55 pm

I have to say, I think it’s kind of hilarious that so many fans of a horror podcast, who have no problems with acts of the most extreme violence — people getting chopped up, incinerated, gutted, what have you — get bent out of shape over a bit of rough language. I guess it just shows how warped our culture is, that we’re more disturbed by natural human functions like sex than by the most vicious, unnatural acts of murder.

Having said that, I’m listening to Pseudopod on my computer at home today, blasting it at high volume with the windows open. I was in the kitchen as this story started playing, and had to rush in here to turn the volume down when the cunts and fucks started flying. D’ohh!

themindfantastic
June 11th, 2009 12:00 am

I think I listen to this story at least once a week since this has been posted. The sex isn’t ‘erotica’ its just as disturbing as everything else… this along with Counting From Ten is some of the best stuff on Pseudopod.

August 13th, 2009 1:20 pm

Wow, very disturbing, a peek into the mind of a murdering madwoman.

The language did annoy me after a while. Not because it’s “naughty” but because it’s repetitive. Honestly, how many times can I listen to a description of the Winter God’s dick?