Pseudopod 038: Hell’s Daycare

By D. Richard Pearce

Read by KJ Johnson

With literally his last dollar, he bought a lottery ticket. That night, Beth called twice, but he ignored the phone. He curled up on the couch, gorged on chips, and watched as the lottery numbers dropped, in precise order, and matched his ticket.

With the weirdness of the last couple of weeks, winning the lottery didn’t surprise him at all. Not only that, he didn’t feel the least bit hopeful. He expected something to go wrong between now and the time he collected. Either the numbers were wrong, or he’d lose the ticket — something.

Nor was he disappointed. He did win, and Satan’s collectors allowed him to keep the decorative memento cheque, and not much else. He suspected a pattern was emerging.

asha
May 18th, 2007 11:35 am

i didn’t enjoy this story as much as the last recent few. many, many cliches. hackneyed, imo. Will tune in next week!

May 21st, 2007 1:27 pm

was it jumpy during the part where the main character won the lottery or was it only my feed?

May 22nd, 2007 9:07 am

I enjoyed this story — and applaud Pseudopod for publishing something on the fringe of horror. Is it comic fantasy or dark humour? Either way, I got a kick out of all the old tropes being given a shake and a dash of vinegar added.

Cool beans, Mr Pearce!

May 22nd, 2007 10:13 am

Julio: It was definitely jumpy and that was due to my inexperience in editing audio files. Long story short, a snippet of re-recorded story was mixed into the full audio when I exported the story to a WAV file. The result was a few seconds of what I guess might be called overdubbing.

May 25th, 2007 12:04 pm

Okay, this story was off the mark. It would have fit better on escapepod, or maybe on a fantasy pod of sorts. Regardless, I come to pseudopod to earn fright, and usually am not let down, but this one was only entertaining for its mild oddness. Maybe next time.

Wiz
May 25th, 2007 8:36 pm

I enjoyed it, overall. I thought it was fun, diverting. Kind of light, fluffy horror.

June 24th, 2007 10:01 am

I’m getting caught up, but I’m kind of wishing I wasn’t. Recent episodes have just been complete crap. This is more of an Escape Pod piece of crap, as there’s not one scary thing in it, and even then, it’s just not that good.

You do realize that many of us would rather you not release anything rather than just pumping our ipods full of this sub-standard fare, right?

April 12th, 2008 1:33 pm

Feeding the pod Jars of demon baby food, now 75% MORE BABY!

Amber
January 25th, 2009 4:47 pm

-Laughs to comment #9- It was glitchy on the lottery part aswell for me too. Eitherway great read and I loved the story.